Easily find, preview and get to real art in the real world. Using the award-winning Art Authority database and easy-to-use maps, Art Alert helps you find artwork near wherever you are or wherever you're going to be. Here's how you can use Art Alert to access information on, and view works from, over 800 museums and other art locations around the world:
- Use the world map to zoom in on and tap one of the pins representing the location, or search for a location by name, city or country.
- Tap the arrow by the location name to view details about the location, get directions to it, check out its Web site or Wikipedia, even call the museum directly on the iPhone.
- View the works from the Art Authority database from that location, in a thumbnail grid or full screen (nearly 60,000 paintings and sculptures from over 1000 western artists are available).
- If you have the newest Art Authority app installed, view the location's collection in that app, for additional context, details, information and display options.
- Go visit the museum!
Here are a few hints on using Art Alert:
- You need Internet connectivity to access the Art Authority database and the maps.
- Double-tap to zoom in on an area of the map; double-tap with two fingers to zoom out. Or you can pinch.
- Use the arrow button to zoom in on your current location. You will probably then want to zoom out a bit, for more context
- The search button (magnifying glass) lets you search for a particular location by name, city or country. Keep in mind that most museums' names are in their country's native languag.e
- When browsing works from a location in the thumbnail grid, tap to see the work full-screen, or tap-and-hold to get information on a particular work. On the iPhone, shake to change the number of thumbnails displayed.
- When calling locations on the iPhone, especially international ones, be sure that Dial Assist is on in the Settings app for best results.
Getting help and reporting problems:
- As indicated in the app, works from a particular location are often out on loan or not on display. If you really want to see a particular work, contact the location to be sure it's available.
- With 60,000 works of art, there are bound to be a few errors in the Art Authority database used by the app. Please help us make the app better by using our tech support form.
- If you have additional questions about the app contact us directly.
- To see what others are saying and participate in the discussions yourself, check out the Art Authority Community site.